Cross Stitch | The Make Arcade ' There's no place like home' Kit Review


If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you would probably know that I haven't been in the best of health lately. I was feeling so low, and really wanted to treat myself to try and give myself something nice to look forward too. I decided that rather then clothing or makeup, I wanted something that would challenge me. Something crafty, that would also cheer up my home and remind me when I have better days how important they are. 


I had seen someone post on Instagram ( sorry I can't remember who ) a cross stitch kit that said ' Make Today Amazing ' in rainbow colours. I headed straight over to Ruth's page. Ruth is the brains behind The Make Arcade, and runs it by herself. I felt like it was perfect, supporting an indie brand hell yes! Bright and colourful you bet! The only issue I had was deciding which of these fab kits I wanted.  




The Make Arcade has a ton of different kits, to get you crafting. 



After clicking onto the site, I decided that it had to be the Wizard of oz inspired kit. As a child it was one of my favourite film, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the films that inspired my love of colour from an early age. The kits are really well priced, so I thought if it's good I'll order another anyway. * Spoiler they're  actual brilliant! The kit cost under a tenner too. 


The kit comes with everything you need, at first you might think it's not enough. But once you have read the instructions, which are very clear and simple it works perfectly. You're provided with a hoop, thread, felt, needle, cross stitch fabric and pom pom trim. I'm no stranger to cross stitch, but it's been more then a decade since I made anything. Back then there was little choice, and to be honest most of the kits were pretty naff. 


I'm really pleased that things considered to be 'granny' crafts, have made a come back because actual grannies were and are cool. Making something with your own hands, makes it that bit more special. Where's that from .. oh I made it. Instant cool, anyway ...


Once I had read the instructions, and sorted my fabric into my hoop I was on a roll. I decided to lightly trace the first couple of letters down one side, just so I could centre it. You don't have to do this, as the chart is really clear on spacing and colours. But as I tend to craft of a night, I wanted to make sure I didn't mess it up. Everything is good quality and I didn't have any problems with the fabric or the thread. With some cheaper ones, they can break and just make it a nightmare.

I managed to get it done in an evening, and couldn't wait to put it on my shelf with my Disney figures. I'm so, so happy with the end result. It's a small hoop, but it looks so cute on my shelf, Ruth does sell larger kits so it's worth checking the size when you order. I think now I've had a refresh, and remembered how much fun cross stitch is I'll give the larger hoops ago. 

Ruth also sells kits for sewing, if cross stitch isn't your bag. She also has a sell on, so if your after something crafty for yourself or to give to someone else these are were it's at. 



No comments

Thank you for your comments, I really do love hearing from you x